6.03.2010

What Are You Reading this Summer?

I always have a book or two going and am finally about to finish “Freakonomics” (I know I must be the last person in the U.S. to read it but I actually started it 4 years ago…what can I say. Other books kept sneaking in.). 

After that, I’ll read “SuperFreakonomics.” Entertaining reading and books that make one think.

I always associate summer with prime reading time. That probably dates from the summers of my childhood when I loved riding my aqua and silver bicycle to the library in my hometown to load up the basket with Nancy Drew, Cherry Ames, and other escapist novels. And of course starting in elementary school, we were always enrolled in the summer reading club where readers were awarded a star for each book read and, I think, a prize at the end of the summer along with your photo in the local newspaper. I was competitive from a very early age!
I have an ongoing stack of books, some new and some classics that I plan to get to. Sometimes I can’t believe the classics that I haven’t read (“A Moveable Feast,” “Brave New World,” “To Kill a Mockingbird”) but there are so many books and too little time.

Occasionally I just want a mindless but well-written novel that offers a good story.

I love hearing authors being interviewed on the radio program “Fresh Air,” learning about the inspiration behind a book and whetting my appetite enough that I keep adding many of these books to my reading list.  Today I heard book reviewer Maureen Corrigan discussing summer reading in Summer Reading that Will Transport You to the Past, and I was ready to check out my local library for all of them.  

If I can’t go somewhere, then the next best thing for now is to read about it. For now, I’m at home, but I’ll keep reading and dreaming of new places, opportunities, goals, and books I’m longing to get to.

Any recommendations?

No comments: