7.02.2010

The Government's Got an App for That

I adore my iPhone. It's a mini-computer, telephone, information-provider, music carrying, and family photo sharing, pocket-size, fabulous invention. I love being out with friends and able to look up a movie time, a definition of a word, a street address (along with directions) for a restaurant, or the opening hours for a museum. It also provides me access to news when I'm waiting in long lines and easy connection with family and friends.

So I was pleased to read today that the U.S. government has launched several apps to make useful info easily available when one needs it. From nutritional information to products that have been recalled to wait times at TSA checkpoints at airports (now that's info I can use!) to information for veterans...and more. The apps are easy to find, no wading through bureaucratic gobbledygook to get to the right page, and a great way to get information to me when I need it (like when I need a zip code after leaving the card store). And of course who doesn't need a mobile BMI calculator... 


I think one of the most useful apps they might come up would be for USA Jobs, so applicants can search new job postings, get an alert if a job is posted that matches a submitted resume, or track their applications.


These apps are not just for iPhones but are also downloadable for other mobile devices. Thanks,fed gov,for trying to be more consumer-friendly!

No comments: