9.10.2009

Labor Day Redux

I had intended for a Labor Day post to be published while I was blissfully away with no Internet access for 5 days, however I was ill-prepared before I left so am resurrecting my Labor Day thoughts today (while it's still Labor Day week).

Labor Day: a "day dedicated to the social and economic achievements of the American worker...a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country."*


It seems like a weird concept to celebrate when one isn't working. For years, I would look forward to Labor Day weekend and a chance to enjoy 3 glorious days of R&R. In my area of the country, that typically means 90-degree temperatures, humid days, lots of sunshine and, with so many people at the beach or traveling, the neighborhood is often quiet and peaceful. Typically I might visit with friends, see a movie, visit the National Gallery of Art or another museum or art gallery, go shopping, and do yard work (what fun).  The weekend was always a chance to rest and get reinvigorated for the next few months of work craziness before year end: often business planning, budget review, clients spending money or getting incremental money to support new initiatives. In other words, gearing up for crazy time.


But this year, as an unemployed worker-in-transition, can I legitimately still celebrate Labor Day? Do my past 30+ years of labor count and are they something to celebrate?

I suggest that Labor Day should be a celebration of and for all American workers: those currently and happily employed, those not employed but who would like to be, those who are now retired, the self-employed, and former workers who are having a hard time finding a new job in this horrible economy. In their own way, they all contribute to the economic well being of the U.S.


Even we unemployed Americans buy groceries and gasoline, pay our mortgages, keep up the car payments and maintenance, subscribe to newspapers and magazines, go to the movies, do home repairs, visit the dentist...all of which contribute to the employment of other Americans. I feel good about that. I want to think that our economy will improve, that Americans -- employed and unemployed -- will have access to health care, that we will all continue to save for that "rainy day" that is here now, that I'll be able to save for a future retirement once again, and that my friends who have also been laid off this year will find meaningful and rewarding employment.


So for Labor Day 09, I believe it's a time to celebrate those of us who work and those of us who wish we were working. We've all been carrying an extra load for the past year: the employed pick up the slack for people who have been laid off, and the unemployed try every way possible to muddle through and keep going and remain optimistic that the right job is out there. So cheers to all and wishes for future Labor Day celebrations!

 
*U. S. Department of Labor

No comments: