9.28.2009

One man's trash is another man's treasure

Coupon clipping. Bargain hunting. Selling on eBay.  Buying on Craigslist. Finding on Freecycle. All are excellent ways to help the old budget, especially while the economy is in the toilet, people who have jobs aren’t getting – or requesting – raises, and many of us don’t have jobs.

I’ve noticed that even people who are employed are more conscientious about their spending, apprehensive about possible layoffs in their companies and fearful about the future.  We’re all looking at ways to save, live more frugally, and still enjoy life.

So, I have been looking at all kinds of ways to stretch my budget yet still allow me to do the things I enjoy doing – concerts, movies, travel, home projects.  I have been using this time off to get rid of things I no longer need or want through donations to Goodwill and Salvation Army (think tax deductions as well as clothes and home goods going to people who need them). I’ve also subscribed to Freecycle.org, the online site that allows people to recycle items they no longer want—at no charge. People post an item they want or one they want to get rid of. There is no charge for either the giver or the receiver; it’s simply a way of recycling goods that might otherwise get thrown into the trash or clutter up one’s home. There are some great things on Freecycle and what a terrific way to match items with people who are happy to have them.

But, I have to admit, I am amazed by how many things have the “ewwww” factor. Do people really give away opened and partially used personal things (I’m not talking appliances and building supplies here)…and do other people really want them? In the name of public interest, saving money, and my own sense of “can you believe people really do that,” I had to share with you some of the items I have legitimately seen posted on these sites. Really. I’m a big believer in recycling, but some of these have gone too far for my taste…plus some of them make me very curious about the person offering the goods…or they are certainly worthy of a good laugh.

(Note: The spellings and language are those of the posters – not mine; I have eliminated all contact information, in the interest of privacy of the posters.):



FREE TO GOOD HOME - The following products have been opened but are fine & I'd rather not throw away if someone wants them.
1)1/4 container (30oz) of Thick it
2)1/2 container (64oz) prune juice
3)1/4 container (18oz) prunes

Call if interested or you know anyone who is.

Well, sounds like someone needed some help with stomach issues…

King Size bed spread with a few matching pillows (gold and beige threading)- gently used but needs to be dry cleaned

Really, would you honestly offer a bedspread to someone that you had not washed or cleaned first???


OFFER: My daughter has decided that she does not like the trix yogurt.
3 strawberry/kiwi
2 cotton candy
expire. Oct.2


OFFER: Long-Handled Dog Pooper Scooper Pan.  This is one half of a set purchased this year -- shovel/hoe not included. In great condition, used very little.


OFFER: 1. Two white cat statues ~ 7inchs high with blue ribbon collors and straw hats (hollow, light weight ceramic)
2. Thermas #1: Aladdin 1 liter. good for soup, has lid/soup bowl --- NEEDS GOOD CLEANING, BEEN IN GARAGE FOREVER
3. Thermas #2: Igloo 1/2 gallon with flip up pour spout in lid --- NEEDS GOOD CLEANING, BEEN IN GARAGE FOREVER
4. Four misc glasses and two misc mugs (not matching set)
5. 2qt/liter tall plastic container with pour lid (not a spout, just able to pour throw hole in lid w/ it's own little lid)
6. Good Seasons Oil holder? I'm not sure if that's what it is but it's my best guess

all items will need some level of cleaning...they' ve been stored in a dusty garage for some time. Please let me know which one(s) you are interested in in your reply.


Who gives away thermoses or other things they haven’t even washed first!!

OFFER:  crutches (20878)
1 pair aluminum, like new, adjustable for height 5'2" to 5'10"
I can leave by front door.  Just let me know when.


Coupons – even those that are mailed to your house regularly—seem to appear regularly on freecycle:

OFFER: 3 Coupons for Nasonex worth the lessor of your co-pay amount or $15 each. Expire 12/31/09

WANTED: alli pills
hi im looking for alli pills, that are not open,thanks! !



You can't fail to be amused by the bathroom-related postings:

TAKEN:  Potty Ring for Toddler

Wanted: Training Underwear (Vinyl )
Does anyone have some training pants available that are not being used? I could really use some for potty training. With or without the cloth diaper built it. Thanks.


And miscellaneous stuff:
Wanted:  fill dirt
We need some fill dirt or loose rocks/stones to fill in a big hole.


OFFER: 5 Empty McCormick spice jars with green cap



All in all, freecycling, recycling is a good thing. But the postings often make me very curious about some of the people, their homes, and what in the world they are thinking. Happy recycling.

No comments: