8.27.2009

Fading days of summer


As I look at the calendar and stare at the words August 27, realizing that our summer is winding down, I am so grateful to have had this summer off work and at home. After decades of working, this has been a refreshing, relaxing, happy time.


I've let go of the stress of the work world to enjoy the simple pleasures of puttering around my kitchen every morning, taking long walks around the lakes in my neighborhood, sitting on a bench listening to the birds without feeling rushed to return to check emails or phone messages. I’ve enjoyed going to the grocery store at mid-morning, sitting by the windows in the afternoon to read a book or magazine, meeting friends for lunch, talking to my sister at random times throughout the day. I’ve been able to travel, take a family vacation, and go kayaking occasionally.


Losing a job is a heart-wrenching, ego-shattering event (even when you know it’s a possibility), but sometimes these things have positive consequences. It takes us off auto-play and forces us to take greater control of our lives and priorities.


Having always worked -- before getting married, through both pregnancies and after a few months of maternity leave -- I missed summers at home with my daughters as they were growing up. I was so wrapped up in deadlines, work projects, meetings, emails, and things that had to be done “yesterday,” that our summers together were not much different from the rest of the year.  Depending upon work, of course, I would typically take off 1 or 2 weeks in the summer for a family vacation and to spend days together when camp and day care were closed.  My lovely daughters are now grown and don’t need me to be home with them any longer, but to be able to be at home this summer has been the break I needed – to be a home body, a mom, and to feel like a normal person again.  Woohoo – it’s been a great summer!

"There shall be eternal summer in the grateful heart."
~Celia Thaxter

1 comment:

Pen and Ink said...

Amen Sister! Enjoy!