8.05.2009

My moment...my year


It would be so easy to let losing one's job sway me from experiencing the joys of life...travel, friends, food, theater, museums, taking classes, expanding my mind and trying new things. I am frugal by nature and the uncertainty of not having a job nor knowing when a new one will develop makes me even more conscious about spending money. But in reality, this is an enormously freeing experience. It also probably begs the classic baby boomer, midlife question...what do I want to do with the rest of my life?


Now I don't really mean goals or career (THAT's another question entirely), I mean what are the truly far out there things that add excitement AND a sense of accomplishment to life?


I have mostly taken the safe route in life: job to job (mostly loving and enjoying where I've landed), marriage, kids, divorce (okay, not the expected path there), buying a house, buying cars, taking vacations...i.e. keeping the home fires burning and keeping the career from burning out. All the while knowing that I wanted more. I want and need to try things that bring me out of my comfortable, safe shell.


What would I put on my list (some might call this a "bucket list" but I prefer to think of it as continuing education)...here's a start:
  • Hike the Inca Trail to Machu Pichu
  • Take an acting class
  • Live in Paris to learn French
  • Buy a bicycle and ride it everywhere
  • Hike Mount Kilimanjaro
  • Learn yoga
  • Spend 2 weeks at a yoga retreat
  • Write a book
  • Take piano lessons
  • Parasailing
What are the new experiences you've always wanted to try? What do you want to learn?

No comments: